Saturday, July 29, 2006

 

Team Paradise at the first day of the World Series of Poker Main Event


Some good news today - my case turned up overnight so I was able to wear clean underwear today - small pleasures in life!

Today was the start of the Main Event of the WSOP and we managed to get there for 12.05p.m. where they were running a few minutes late.

It is almost impossible to describe what it is like here. I really wanted to see the start of the Main Event on the first day, just to people watch and to hear those famous words that kick-off this event - "Shuffle up and deal". To my surprise and pleasure, both Kays had a great time and loved it as well. Spotting famous players and just general people watching.

Well, when we were told that a first time entrant was going to be playing in the Main Event today and also kick-starting it and that he was a 78 year old actor and director, my mind was wondering who it was. Well bugger-me, it was Brett Maverick himself - James Garner! Velma Kay was so excited she could hardly contain herself. He started off the event and less than 7 minutes later, the tournament director announced that everyone had just outlasted the first player. Some poor sod with a baseball cap and a grey sweat-top was on his feet walking out past a few ripples of applause. A quick way to spend $10,000 - I have no idea what hand he went out on.

My Kay showed that she has learnt a thing or two about poker, managing to spot a few players recognised from the TV. We saw Doyle Brunson, Mike Caro and Dewey Tomko (all signing autographs but not playing). I saw a guy with a t-shirt with "Jonny Re-Raise" and so I had to go and introduce myself and get a photo with him. "I'm not famous" he said to me as I asked for a picture with him. "It's ok", I said, "I am!"

We saw Gary Bush, Barry Greenstein, Gus Hansen, Mel Juddah, Mark Seif and Norman Chad. Poker players amongst you will know some of these, and we heard that Tobey Maguire (Spiderman) was playing, but with so many people, we couldn't see him. Apparently he's been knocked out now.

There were so many spectators and players that they kicked us all out after 20 minutes as they were trying to get some latecomers in. Looks like there's going to be about 8,500 playing in total.

Today was the day when I definitely didn't need to get my case back, as we picked up so many t-shirts for free (and a bunch of other things) that it didn't matter.

You can see the 3 of us modelling the Paradise gear that we got yesterday (above) and we spent a bit of time at the Paradise Poker stall.

I begin play at 8p.m. Monday night (UK time) and apparently you can follow progress on www.cardplayer.com and if I am still in after playing, I'll update the site here so you will have something to see on Tuesday by midday at the latest. The Paradise Poker blog link I posted previously will also have something on it.

3.30a.m. in the morning here and I need to get my sleep and awake time going properly - a couple of days still to do that.

Best wishes to all

Jonny Check Raise

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?